Thursday, February 5, 2009

February 3, 2009

Well we have our P day today, because tomorrow is tranfers, and Elder Contreras is being transfered. It was sad yesterday, he said that if president doesn't call before 12 we would be good. So after 12 we were all excited. But then we got a call at 8:30 pm from president telling that Elder Contreras was going to be a zone leader in fijardo. So I am going to stay here. All is well. No, it was just me and Elder Contreras in the apartment. But before we lived with the Assistants, so that was interesting. Now we have a knew assistant, Elder Gonzalez. I have never met him but I hear he is cool. I am a little sad Elder Black is leaving, he was really nice. Elder Contreras was the old district leader, but now he is leaving. I dont know who my next companion is until tomorrow at the transfer meeting. And he will be the next district leader, because it is only me and the AP's in our district. We walk everywhere. Don't have a car. I was kinda hoping to be transfered just to have a car. Oh yea, and mom did you talk to Elder Archuletta from the mission office about sending my social security card. Because i need it to get my license, so if you could call him that would be great! And yes dad, that is awesome if I could use it once or twice a week! Thank you so much! That Cardinals game sounded amazing! I cant believe they actually put up a fight. That really makes me happy. Well the work is going great. The Fino family has been making great progress, and we were able to answer some of his questions yesterday, and we committed him to talk and pray with his wife, lucero, about being baptized. And he called us today and said that THEY WANT TO BE BAPTIZED!!! I am so happy right now. There is no feeling like it. He said over the phone, even though elder contreras is leaving, and that i am American, he considers me his son, and that I am invited over to their house any time. That was a big compliment to me that he called me his son. But we are going over their today to talk about a date for their baptism. Im guessing that their daughter franci is going to be baptized too. Also, two days ago something pretty amazing happened. We were walking down the street, and then someone called out, hey come back. We walked over to the house and realized that it was the town drunk. Everytime he see's us, he tries to talk about how he is better than us, and just wierd stuff. And everytime we have just testified and walked away. Well it turns out that works! We were kinda hesistant to talk to him, but then he started talking about how he has no purpose in his life, and how he wants to stop drinking. He said that when he talks to us, he see's a light in our eyes, and a happiness, and that he wants that happiness. So we taught him the about the word of wisdom. He was really excited, and really down to read about the word of wisom. Im not going to lie, i was a little skeptical, because he was a little drunk, and he lives with his 92 year old grandma, and she jsut kept yelling "He is a horrible man, he is a drunk". But the next day we had another appointment with him, and he had read everything, and hadnt drank. He looked like a completely different person. It was amazing to see a change in him. He looked happy. And he wanted to know more, he wanted to learn who was Joseph Smith, and what the Book of Mormon is. We taught a really good lesson, and he accepted a conditional baptism (if he receives an answer to his prayers, then he will be baptized). So that was just amazing to me. He was the last person who i thought would want to hear our message and change his life. It is going to be a proccess, but with prayer and faith, he can do it. His name is Miguel. Well that is what's going on here is Puerto Rico. I am loving the mission, and there is nothing else I would rather be doing right now. The Church is true. Sometimes we are tricked into thinking that there is happiness outside of following christ, and keeping his commandments. But I know that there is no other way to be happy than to strive to be like christ, and to keep his commandments. There is NO happiness in sin. I know that this is the most importnat work in the world. I am helping people to feel the love of christ, and to have more joy than they ahve ever felt in thei lives. Yesterday Alvaro said that before we talked to him he was stressed with work, and he didnt know if he could pay the house bills and everything. But when he received the Book of Mormon he knew that that was the answer. We are able to see miracles everyday. President Eyring said that we just need to have eyes to see, and ears to hear. We need to pray for the opportunity, and then look for the chance to bless someones life witht he gospel. Alvaro and lucero were really impressed with the church, because on sunday everyone excepted them. It was amazing, Elder contrereras and elder black taught the elders quorum about missionary work and their part, and they did it. Everyone was inviting them over for dinner, and for family night, and just being their friend. Alvaro and lucero said that they really felt loved. And thats all we need to do, is show our love, that is what missionary work is. Well I love you guys so much, you are everything to me. Love your son, Elder Hardy

1 comment:

Willi Nixon said...

I'm so glad I found jared's blog!! i love reading his stories :) good seeing you on sunday!